Lycra wetsuits and stinger suits provide protection against abrasions and damaging sun rays.
Lycra wetsuits (or ‘dive skins’), provide comfort, style and function, using only the highest quality materials. Stinger suits are great for swimming or diving in warmer waters where jellyfish or harmful stingers are found. Even when there are invisible stingers around, a stinger suit will protect you because you will be almost fully covered. With so many dangerous and even lethal stingers in Australia, especially in the warmer summer months, a stinger suit is a small investment that can prevent hospitalisation.
Why do you need a stinger suit?
In some areas of Australia you’ll need a stinger suit for a great part of the year. Stingers are active from October to May in tropical waters. Dangerous types of jellyfish that you could encounter in Australian waters are: the box jellyfish and the Irukandji jellyfish. A sting by these jellyfish can cause immense pain, can damage your skin and can even be fatal if there is no medical facility nearby.
Things to look out for when buying a lycra suit or stinger suit:
- Full length lycra and stinger suits are recommended.
- An attached hood and gloves will also protect your head and hands in high-risk areas.
- Ultra-lightweight, breathable material that doesn’t absorb water, such as Spandex or Nylon.
- Material that is treated against UV-light and is chlorine-resistant, in case you want to use the lycra suit for sun protection.
- A two-piece lucre suit with spear loading pad is recommended if you are a keen spearfisher.
What if I you do get stung?
If you haven’t invested in a stinger suit and if you do happen to get stung: immediately treat the affected area with vinegar and in case the tentacles are stuck on the skin, leave them on for doctors to remove them safely.
Read more about the dangers of jellyfish/stingers and how you can protect yourself in this Swimwear Shack blog post.
With known wetsuit brands such Adrenalin, Omer and Ulusub, you can be sure to find the perfect lycra suit or stinger suit here at Wetsuit Warehouse.